Hunting London Bluebacks

While hunting for Bluebacks on ebay, I am writing this article. The first thing I did was go into ebay and search out Decca in records for sold auctions descending order. The first classical release was Decca SXL6035 - Bruch - Scottish Fantasia - Hindemith VC - David OISTRAKH for $1150 and I promptly skipped this as I already have the Blueback. Next up was the bizarre DECCA SXL 6426 SCHUBERT SONATA FOR CELLO & PIANO 1969 at $1130. I investigated this and the London which was released one month later. The London sells for $30. It is the same LP. Given the later nature of this recording one presumes this is being collected for the performance, but clearly not the case. It appears the rather moronic Decca completists know this is a good album and they want the ED3 Decca FFSS label which is identical to the ED1 FFSS label (almost), never mind the 1969 pressing will sound totally different. See our Decca/London Pressing Guide. The top selling Decca copies are 1W/3W. The London is 1W/1W and can be had for $50 or so. I see evidence of the London release also existing with a high density plastic sleeve (opaque) which would imply an ED5 pressing with the Neumann SX-74 and its pristine treble. I just sniped a sealed copy for $17 from Israel for fun that ends later today.
Finally, I got to something of real interest, the Ricci SXL 2155 pictured above at $1000. Philip Stuart's Complete Decca Classical discography shows the London version (CS6134 to the left) actually coming out first in December 1959 with the Decca SXL following in March 1960, a seeming advantage for the London as it should have the first stampers. I then started poking around popsike and ebay for matrix numbers. 2E/2D for $1000 and a 1E/1E for $1000. In ebay most of the CS6134s were 2E/2D, so one would think they might be superior to the Decca 2E/2D since they were released first. The 1E/1E is very interesting since one would think it is earlier, yet it is not appearing on the London CS6134. Onto popsike... Well all of the Decca and London are 2E/2D. The seller with the 1E/1E rating appeared to be a new seller, so it seems very likely that they did not bother to put in the correct matrix information. Not many of the London CS 6134 up so I decided to move on (I have both the original LSC and Classic Records Living Stereo Lalo so I'll live).
Dvorak 9, Kertesz VPO, SXL 2289 at $1000: I've got the STS (not so great) and the Japanese Super Analogue (quite nice), so a brief scan for the London on this and unfortunately it may be more rare and only NM copy in the last three months for $167. Interesingly, Scott Wheeler, a Forum Resident at Steve Hoffman Music Forums, claims the Super Analogue blows away any Decca pressing and the Speakers Corner reissue which is on Maestro Salvatore's Basic list (Salvatore makes no mention of the Super Analogue.) Our Living Decca Blueback Guide has more pressing information. I think I will sit tight with Super Analogue which I coughed up $72 for over 20 years ago. My conclusion is that this release is overpriced due to rarity. I see EMI's ASD 380 with Kempe selling for $300. I'd like to have Concert Classic SXLP30110 of this which should have a excellent sound. The Karajan reissue EMI, ASD 2863, is excellent, but may be a bit bass light on some systems (reissue of EMI Columbia SAX 2275). Enough with Dvorak and I'll add I would  not hesitate to get the Speakers Corner reissue. It is getting hard to get, but can be had for the MSRP of $35.

SXL 2026 Campoli violin pieces is next and I'll refer you to my comments in the guide from a few days ago (see #4). The London is not for sale, but an excellent copy of CS 6047, CAMPOLI Mendelssohn Bruch, London Phil, Boult, just sold for $30 which is a great price. Onward!

MOZART - LE NOZZE DI FIGARO - DECCA SXL 2087/90 at $900 (Kleiber); I've got my eyeballs on the London version of this opera set which sells for much less. We also have Gui's verion on EMI ASD and Giulini's Figaro on EMI Columbia SAX. I've got the RCA living stereo, but would like to find an earlier pressing with the clasp, "treasure box". I don't love the sound of mine and so wish for an earlier pressing. Leinsdorf's Figaro is well liked on Amazon. The Guilini can be had on the later EMI SLS in possibly better sound for very cheap. The Gui Figaro can be had on a very rare Regal reissue of the original gold and cream ASD. The Regal may be rarer, but goes for less, but is no bargain. Hopefully, I'll be able to snag the Blueback with Kleiber.

ANSERMET - FALLA - El Amor Brujo - DECCA SXL 2260; $900. I recently got STS 15014 of this which is quite respectable. I missed out an excellent copy of the London Blueback of this in a Buy it Now for $20. That was a real deal.

ARGENTA - ESPANA - DECCA SXL 2020, $888. I've got an adequate Speakers Corner of this along with several of the London CS 6006. This one I am letting go for now until I more closely evaluate my current inventory....

DECCA SXL 6036 ED 1 BORODIN SHOSTAKOVICH QUARTETS, $868. This is very late in the Blueback era and I am pretty sure I have the STS of this. The London Blueback CS 6338 is quite rare also. I'm not losing any sleep over this one, so time to move on.

ANSERMET BERGANZA FALLA 3 CORNERED HAT UK DECCA SXL 2296, $870. Well the Ace of Daimonds (SDD 321) of this can go for $45. It appears the London CS 6224 Blueback is the value play, but it will cost more. Salvatore has the Speakers Corner reissue in basic list. And I may have misspoken on the availability of Speakers Corner for some of the above items because a site in Germany (named SpeakersCorner) was listing these as in stock (doubtful.) I just snagged a Mint copy off discogs for $30. I've not been overly impressed by the Speakers Corner Reissue I have, but this will be my first one that is higher up on the Supreme Recordings (see our references at bottom of page.) I do actually have two of these including the Prokofiev Symphony 6 (SXL 6777) and the above SXL 2020.
This is an interesting one; BACKHAUS PLAYS BRAHMS PIANO RECITAL DECCA SXL 2222, $825. The Blueback version is pictured to the left and is much earlier (September 58 versus July 1960.) Now, I could believe the later pressing might be better, but ideally it would be even later than SXL 2222. So, let's see what the matrices reveal. Quoting one seller; "(It always amazes me that those flimsy 60's Decca sleeves survived more than a few years,let alone 50 years!)"  British dealer don't generally reveal matrix information so onto Popsike for SXL 2222. 1E/1E, 10E/2E, 1E/1E, 1E/1E, 1E/1E. Now for CS 6021; 2E/10E, 1E/1E, 10E/2E on ebay. Popsike; 3 1E/1E and then they want me to join again ($18 for 6 months.). The pattern is clear enough (outside of one dyslexic dealer) 1E/1E is original and 10E/2E is likely later. Unfortunately dealers never cough up the most detailed information as detailed in our guide link above. It would be very interesting to see the date code (sales tax code) at 12 o'clock on these labels. In theory the 1E/1E would have a faint RT for 1959, and possibly ET for 1960. The 10E/2E is likely later. All in all, I would expect the earlier Londons with 1E/1E to be superior to the Decca from two years later with the same matrix (mother stamper). Once again we have strong evidence that the Decca completists do not care about the sound of the LP since the London has the same artwork and two copies went in the $20 to $30 range recently. $888 for a flimsy cover with inferior sound does not make a lot of sense.


Keeping things to the Backhaus, now can you beat CS 6141 for a cover? (pictured right) The staid flimsy Decca cover is just another photo of the revered Backhaus. Here we have some fine Golden Era cover art that stimulates the mind. SXL 2214 comes in at $685. CS 6141?: $60 for NM. Hmmmm. The London came out in May 1960, but might have been pressed even earlier as the records were made in the UK and shipped to the US to get their American covers. The SXL came out in June, but I doubt these two were pressed at the same time. Onto the matrices. Seller Analog Paradise seems a bit biased towards London; "London Blue Back (BB) story: Starting in the 1950’s the Decca Record Company in London started releasing LP’s simultaneously in the US on the London Records label and in the UK on the Decca Record label due to trademark issues with the US Decca Record label.  In order to do simultaneous releases with UK pressings, Decca was forced to press the London BB LP’s first in order to be able to ship them by boat to NY for release at the same time in the UK.  As such, the London pressings are in fact the earliest pressings and often have the 1X stamper designation.  While the 1st stamper is not always the best sounding, it often is and has always been sought out by collector’s looking for the earliest pressings.
In cases where a BB pressing and the Decca SXL equivalent are pressed using the same stamper, the two pressings are indistinguishable from each other assuming both are in the same condition.  In cases where the stampers are different you can have one or the other (BB/SXL) of the pressings sounding better because of the variations in cutting another set of metal parts.  Bottom line is that London BB pressings are from the same plant that pressed SXL pressings and are often earlier pressings.  SXL pressings have always been more desirable because of their relative scarcity having only been issued in the UK.  London BB pressings often equal or better their SXL counterparts and are less expensive to own.... This is an incredible experience for your stereo rig:  The great Wilhelm Backhaus performs Mozart Piano Concerto conducted by Karl Bohm in this great and rightly heralded album. " 1D/2D from Analog Paradise for $60. Another 1D/2D.  SXL 2214; 1D/2D. Without Popsike I can't be definitive, but this is a fairly rare LP and all early ones are likely 1D/2D. The SXL cover was actually made in April of 1960, so these LPs might have come out of the plant around the same time. I've always wanted this LP as my Stereo Treasury copy STS 15061 hints at greatness (matrix 4L/5L, UU, tax code kt=1967-1969). I just discovered a very competitive pressing in the Japanese Super Analogue. It is very tempting to buy, but given the shipping from Japan I need to wait and wait for the price to drop. It appears a number have come up in the last year and have been selling for $30 plus shipping. The Super Analogue will have a superior noise floor and should be on JVC vinyl from Japan (the best). It is a very tempting option for the right price and if the Blueback is eluding one's grasp. I am slightly reserved about Super Analogue. They are cut with a 300 watt tube cutter amp with a very direct signal path, but their use of a very nice solid state Tandberg deck for the tape has its pluses and minuses. The plus is a better noise floor, but the negative is they don't have the slam of a Speakers Corner reissue nor do they go to the highest level of beguiling tube magic sound. They will be better than the stereo treasury I would expect. I caught some positive review of a Backhaus HammerKlavier mono Super Analogue so I suspect they can do piano quite well and I doubt dynamics would be an issue for these pieces so a very, very appealing option.

Its time to stop, but I can't help but throw in some quickies! SXL 6088 Decca WB/G ED1 Mozart/I & D Oistrakh/Kondrashin, $684; two Oistrakhs, but this is out of the money for true Blueback tube sound most likely (I smell completists wanting anything with the Decca FFSS label). I tried to buy an original London pressing of this, but got hosed by the seller and ended up with ED4 label and sound. Way overpriced.

RICCI - RECITAL - BARTOK - STRAVINSKY - HINDEMITH - DECCA SXL 2240, $678; likely rare. FFSS can be had for much less, but it is rare also. STS 15153 will not compare, but gets you the music in passable sound.

WAGNER * DIE WALKÛRE # KNAPPERTSBUSCH - DECCA SXL 2074 - 5 **, $661 - if you really want this get the London. The completist see SXL and must have this double LP. London collectors see the OSA and opera and won't bid much for this one. Get the whole Die Walkure on RCA Soria. It is awesome.

REINER - BRAHMS - DVORAK - DECCA SXL 2249 WBG, more completist insanity here at $650. The London is very mediocre. Reiner was the conductor here and therefore I expect this did not sell well and is fairly rare.

MAAG - MENDELSSOHN - - SYMPHONY No.3 - DECCA SXL 2246 WBG , $638. Well I had a beat copy with duct tape on the cover that I thought had potential. I finally got a London and its decent, but no where near $638 decent. The Elusive Disc has the ORG double LP 45rpm of this on sale for $40 which Aqlam has and likes and I just bought (hope springs eternal).

DECCA SXL 2019 WBG BLUE BACK UK ED1 1958! VIVALDI FOUR SEASONS MUNCHINGER, $572. I doubt this is all that good and the London has not impressed me in the least. Super Analogue LONDON/DAM-KING (DOR-0172) 1990 might be interesting. Jubilee JB63 might be really something.

And the theme continues as I look through the rest. Please make a brief comment if you found this article helpful, otherwise I may not throw any collecting diaries. Happy hunting!





Comments

  1. I just picked up the Speakers Corner reissue of the Kertesz Dvorak for $20 ... have not done a full and thorough listen but on first listen I was already impressed with the bass solidity. Will report back with more impressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acoustic Sounds still has this one new for $35. Let me know if you hear any dynamic restraint or break up. I've played my copy quite a bit, but I do hear some distortion of the type that usually bothers you (latter movements.) It would be nice to confirm that the Speakers Corner is the king of slam and dynamics. They sound dry to me.

      Delete
    2. My initial listening picked up no distortion and lots of dynamics. I'll get back to you on this.

      Delete
  2. Speakers Corner of Espana is also very impressive and certainly a more budget conscious approach to acquiring that legendary Argenta LP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speakers Corner of the BOrodin can also be purchased for reasonable price. I have not heard it but I would imagine it is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this which is a London Cover of course since no Decca (CS 6126). I've got a couple originals and I'd say this one is over rated.

      Delete
  4. I did not win DECCA SXL 6426 SCHUBERT SONATA FOR CELLO & PIANO 1969. It sold for $57 for the sealed London.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some remarks on a few of the records mentioned here: I own the Speakers Corner RI of the Dvorak/Kertesz and never liked it. It is colorless, it lacks warmth and midrange, its only merits are extreme dynamics and bass, almost too much. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the cheapest SPA I could find (part of a bulk purchase, 8 LPs for 4 pounds british plus shipping and import charges) and it was like night and day. The SPA has a beautiful live quality I find hard to describe, it is as if you could touch the music. After that I decided to replace all the Speakers Corner reissues I have with originals, German Deccas or later SPA/SDD. I believe I have been missing out on a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always for sharing your insight. I also bought a few of the Speakers Corner Decca reissues back in the early 2000s. I don't have them anymore, but I remember liking the Argenta Espana disc and the Oistrakh/Horenstein Hindemith VC/Bruch Scottish Fantasy discs. Like you, when I realized that I could easily get the later FFRR pressings for a fraction of the price, and that these sounded pretty great, I stopped getting the reissues.

      Delete
  6. On the Ansermet SXL 2296, I have the London White Back, a 2D/2D pressing. Sounds fabulous, spacious, dynamic with a lot of bass and sweet sound. One of my best sounding LPs. No idea how much and where I got it, but it could not have been expensive as I have never paid more than 50 dollars for a record. Same with the Rostropovich/Schubert, a London WB 1W/1W pressing. Probably got it on the cheap because it is an ex- library copy from a Lutheran college - which apparently nobody bothered to loan. This one is usually very expensive because it is one of the few Decca recordings of Rostropovich and the "Asian Locusts" are so greedy for violin and cello records.
    Concerning the Two Oistrakhs playing Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante, one of the greatest Mozart recordings imho, there is, thank God, a german edition pressed from british stampers. A dream of a record, sadly, not as cheap as it used to be. https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5285754?ev=rb
    There are many other versions with german stampers, but with a little searching you can find the real, 1G/1G, McCoy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts