RCA Living Stereo LSC-1984: Munch's Marvelous Bolero




RCA Living Stereo LSC-1984
Bolero
Ravel: Bolero, La Valse, Rhapsodie Espagnole
Debussy: Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch, conductor

Pressing: US, Indianapolis, shaded dog

Date first published: 1958

Matrix numbers: 1S / 1S

I came across this at my local record store yesterday, and for $2 USD, I found it hard to pass up. While it's not the first copy of this disc that I've owned, my previous copies had more signs of play that did impact their sound. This record appeared to be unplayed.

Before going on, I'd just like to share with you Jonathan Valin's review of this recording in the RCA Bible:

"One of the Mitchell's Top 16 and one of the top RCA's. I forgot just how terrific this '58 recording was until I auditioned it PS (Post Subwoofer). There isn't much fault to find here. Violins are diaphanous and detailed and that fine detail extends down into the string basses, where bowing sounds are unusually distinct. The high end is superb, with the type of crystalline clarity, extension and snap that Mercuries boast. Presence is first-rate (due in part to unusually close miking). Low end weight is tops (as good as I've heard with the BSO). And dynamics are exceptionally impressive - absolutely explosive without sounding overmodulated or shrill. Terrific performances, too, especially the Rapsodie espagnole, which is one of the best on record. 'Le Beau Charles,' as Munch was known in his heydey in Paris, was, of course, renowned for his mastery of French music, as was the BSO itself, which has been identified with the repertory since Monteux was the musical director back in the early twenties. The received wisdom was that Munch was not as adept in German music, although you couldn't prove it to me by his first-rate Brahms First [LSC 2097], his Beethoven Fifth [VICS 1035], his Beethoven Violin Concerto [LSC 1992 with Heifetz], or his scenes from Wagner [LSC 2255], not to mention his very good Brahms Fourth [LSC 2297] and Schubert Ninth [LSC 2344]."

Honestly, the first time I read this years ago, I was in a bit of disbelief because that was not my experience with this LP.  I mean, the record was pretty good but not quite as superlative as Valin described.  So, when it came time to putting this newly acquired $2 copy on the turntable for a spin yesterday evening, I kept my expectations pretty low.

I couldn't be more surprised.  From the opening moments of Ravel's Bolero, which Munch takes at a pretty fast clip (13:49, compared with Cluytens' 15:38, Martinon's 15:03, and Ozawa's 15:01), to the final notes of Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, I could finally hear those qualities that Valin was so enthusiastically praising.  Never before had I heard this album sound so good.  When I decided to check the matrix numbers: 1S/1S!  Valin's review copy was a 6S/11S.  Perhaps the combination of a first pressing and the record's apparently unplayed condition were the vital elements for this sonic magic?  

Comments

Popular Posts