More Bargain Reissues: Rozdinski's Music of Spanish Masters (Classics for Pleasure)




Classics for Pleasure CFP 40261
Music of Spanish Masters
De Falla: "The Three-Cornered Hat" Ballet Music Suites 1 & 2, Ritual Fire Dance from "El Amor Brujo"
Albeniz: Navarra, Triana/El Corpus en Sevilla from "Iberia"
Granados: Andaluza from "Danzas Espanolas"
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Artur Rodzinski, conductor

Matrix numbers: 2YEA 99-4 / 100-5

This Classics for Pleasure is a reissue of His Master's Voice (HMV) ASD 281 (also titled "Music of Spanish Masters"), which was released in 1959. Only issued with the white (or cream) and gold label, the original is quite rare (only 43 auction sales logged since 2009) and collectible (median price $204 USD and max price $571 USD, according to Popsike). I once leaped upon an opportunity to purchase on Ebay what I was led to believe was the ASD for $11. Imagine my disappointment when, upon receipt, I sadly discovered that the record was the mono US Capitol release. The seller had used a stock photo of the UK ASD for their listing without knowing the difference. Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund on the basis of this miscommunication.

About six months later, I was thrilled to find this CFP reissue in the US for $4 USD. Occasionally, these show up in bargain bins in local record stores, but most of them are overseas in the UK and Europe; paying $20 or more for international shipping for a $3-4 record seems to defeat the point. In general, I have been very pleased with most of the CFP reissues of EMI recordings and have found that some sound even better than the originals. This one is simply excellent. The surprisingly modern and transparent sound of this record makes it hard to imagine that the original recording was made 65 years ago. I love Spanish music, and if you do as well, I think you will enjoy this record. These are inspired performances of classic repertoire from de Falla, Granados, and Albeniz, presented in splendid sound. The strings sound rich and natural, the winds are captured with impressive clarity and imaging, and treble and bass extension render the percussion instruments with just the right amount of sparkle and deep impact. All of this is delivered with a spacious spread across the soundstage. A worthy bargain reissue!

Comments

  1. I am now officially on the hunt for that Rodzinski! (I have never seen it, to my knowledge so it'll take some luck). I really love the CFP releases I've had through the years. The performances are typically great but what I love about CFP is that the vinyl is almost always clean. Perhaps not as thick, so perhaps the dynamism suffers, but I'll take a small diminishment in dynamism in favor of a surface that doesn't talk back at me. Thanks as always for the review -- I find them inspiring!Eric Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eric, for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts! Are there any CFPs that you’ve found particularly noteworthy?

      Delete
    2. If I may intrude, the best Return-On-Investment CFP record should be CFP 194, Carl Schuricht conducts Bruckner's 9th Symphony, with the Vienna Philharmonic. The original ASD is absurdly expensive, but the CFP can be had for peanuts and stems from the same master as far as I can tell. Mine has A-1/O2 stampers. Now, I understand that you don't much like Bruckner, but this particular record is quite special-and who knows, perhaps you will come to acquire this particular taste :-)

      Delete
    3. Thank you as always, Kostaszag, for your recommendation! It's true that we have not covered much Bruckner here, but that will probably change. It took a while, but this summer I started listening to the Bruckner symphonies and developed a new appreciation for these works! I think I may have had a copy of that Schuricht you mention above years ago, but I'll be on the lookout for it.

      Delete
  2. I love this record. I pulled it out of the shelf and listened to it this morning. Nice sound, though the recording by Ansermet of the Three Cornered Hat remains first choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ansermet is excellent, I agree with you! The De Burgos with Victoria de los Angeles on EMI is another one of my favorites.

      Delete
  3. Don't have any particular recommends (never bought 1 - though now have around 170) but added (Kogan/Beethoven post on 'Pristine') an early booklet listing up to earliest 40000 series (hence B&W label - 'ASD quality' vinyl/sleeves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tin Ear! I didn't see that booklet listing the first time I read your post - that is a very nice resource! I am providing a direct link below for interested readers:

      https://pristineclassics.blogspot.com/2024/05/2448-leonid-kogan-paris-conservatoire_7.html#more

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts