Here's a video from EMI promoting the latest release of Russian-born conductor Vasily Petrenko, who is currently the Chief Conductor of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and whom I think is one of the most exciting young conductors on the international classic music scene today.  I picked up a couple of his recent releases on the British label Avie Records, namely a recording of Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances, Isle of the Dead, and The Rock; and a recording of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto Nos. 1 and 4 with the Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski.  I thoroughly enjoyed both of these recordings for their dynamic performances and excellent sound, so I decided to give Maestro Petrenko's debut release on the EMI lael a try.  This CD contains Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 3, coupled with the Caprice Bohemien and Vocalise.  This video served as a spoiler for me, too, and I can say that after hearing the first few minutes of the first movement of the Symphony No. 3, I was hooked.  Although I'd heard Rachmaninov's second symphony several times (whose heart doesn't melt with the opening bars of the Adagio movement?), this was actually my first exposure to this work and I loved it.  Take a listen yourself and let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular Posts