SXL 2012
Grieg Peer Gynt

Oivin Fjeldstad, conductor
The London Symphony Orchestra

Pressing:  ED1 ("Original Recording By")


Condition:  VG++


Stampers:


Performance:  10/10


Sound:  8/10


Comments:  Despite this being one of the early Decca's (and a first pressing for what it's worth), this is one of the outstanding issues in the Decca catalog.  It has just about everything ... a world class performance, excellent sonics, very nice cover art.  There are many dynamic moments in this piece (not the least of which is the climax to In the Hall of the Mountain King) which are quite fun to listen to on a quality stereo system.


In the book "Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound", it is given one of the highest ratings (19/20) and the authors comment:  "The test of time has proven this to be one of the great recordings of this well known masterpiece."  There is a quote from Ivan March from 1960: "'This is one of the very best of all stereo issues, the recording is most natural, the sound spreads out well and has a wide range.  The exotic percussion effects (especially the bass drum) add much to the music without being exaggerated. There is the very slightest of muzziness at the climax of the Death of Ase and again in the Arab Dance but elsewhere the sound is outstandingly good.  The L.S.O. play very sensitively under Oivin Fjelstad and the tender string tone in Solverg's song is quite lovely. In all, a highly recommendable issue - on any gramphone.'"  I think that just about sums it up!  




Comments

  1. I had (still have), the Speakers Corner reissue of this one, which sounds nice, with a lot of bass punch. Then, a few days ago, I bought the Ariola/Eurodisc reissue, which was printed with the same stampers as the British version. The Ariola has a bit less bass but a lot more space, better instrument separation and sounds far more pleasant, especially the strings. The solo violin in the Prelude sounds good in the SC but simply magical in the Ariola. I think I am selling the SC...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the joy of discovery with this hobby. Sounds like you have found a more pleasing copy of this album! Sadly, I parted with my Decca several years ago. I wish we saw more of those Eurodiscs on this side of the pond!

      Delete
    2. How on earth can you part from such wonderful music? I really cant fathom it. My attitude when I find such a great record is like Merlin's (Marc Strong) in The Kingsman movie when the main character asks for his gun: "Nah uh, this one's mine."

      Delete
    3. I had to chuckle as I remember that scene from the movie.

      I couldn't agree with you more, Kostaszag. There are some decisions in our lives that we regret. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts