Columbia SAX 2306

SAX 2306

Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake

Herbert von Karajan, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra

Pressing: ED1

Condition:  NM

Stampers:
YAX 245-10
YAX 246-13

Performance: 8/10

Sound: 8/10

Price Range: $28-147, mean $52 on popsike


Comments:  A relatively common, easy-to-find, and affordable Columbia SAX.  Don't let its price fool you about its sound.  This is a beautiful record with lovely performances by Karajan and the Phiharmonia and sound which is warm, dynamic, and clear.  I prefer the music of Sleeping Beauty to that of Swan Lake, but both are enjoyable here.  Listening to this album, I felt as if I were sitting some distance back from the orchestra.


Comments

  1. All three Columbia pressings available along with SXLP30200 and SAXW 2306 (German). The Concert Classic SXLP is a little late. I show $70 as top price recently. I'd snag a magic notes pressing for super cheap if the opportunity arises, but probably worth going for the blue and silver on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think I actually have the magic notes (or as I call them, semi-circle pressings) pressing, too. I'll have to pull it out and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Inquiring minds want to know. The question in my mind is can you hear a difference between the second and third pressings. I hate all of my 5 second label SAX. Love my Karajan Water Music Magic Notes. It sounds very much like my lone Blue & Silver, but is clearly different as in not all tube. None of my Concert Classics, Classics for Pleasure, or ASD releases of Columbia material have this sound. Its hard to get a magic notes copy cheap with shipping from the UK (if you get 7 or 8 LPs you might be able to talk a seller into surface mail which comes out to about $3.50 a record.) Just got a little shipment with a Regal in it, heh heh. I'll post in the other thread where I mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, then! I will try to do a comparison!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts