Argo ZRG 719: The Academy's Superb Sounding Bizet and Prokofiev

Argo ZRG 719

Bizet: Symphony in C
Prokofiev: Classical Symphony

Neville Marriner, conductor
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
 
Pressing: Rectangle logo

Condition: NM

Stampers:
ZRG-3893-2G
ZRG-3894-1G

Date first published: 1973

Performance: 10/10

Sound: 9/10
 
Price range: Data not available

Comments: In light of the recent release of Decca's 28-CD compilation of Sir Neville Marriner's recordings with the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields ("The Argo Years"), I thought I'd pull out a few of these LPs to review.  This one has always been one of my favorite Marriner/ASMF records.  From the attack of the strings in the opening measures of Bizet's Symphony in C, you can already tell that this album is going to be a pleasure.  I'm generally not a huge fan of Prokofiev's symphonies but can appreciate the First ("Classical"), which to me is one of the more musically accessible, and this LP was the one that introduced me to the work.  Both works are given wonderful, light, disciplined performances.  Superimposed against an immaculately quiet surface, the sonics are crisp, clear, detailed, and dynamic.  In summary, simply superb. 


Comments

  1. I find the later Decca very frustrating. Some are great (and I can't seem to find any of these). I've acquired quite a few from Salvatore's list and they don't really do it for me as a group. The greater mystery to me as how the Lyrita which were pressed and recorded by Decca and seem to be of significantly higher quality. With the Bassophile I might be able to form a Decca haters club (Quadophile does not like the few I've played over on his system). I still have all my Decca/Londons sorted in pressing piles from a year and a half ago and I don't seem to get back to them despite acquiring about 30 Decca last Fall from England. Mind you I do like the horrible originals and some stereo treasury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we probably agree to disagree on this one. I am a big fan of the Argo records, especially the recordings of Marriner and the ASMF. The sound is very clean and precise without sounding clinical and has just the right amount of warmth for me. Not to mention really excellent performances. Yes, you are a fan of the early FFSS blueback, which I'm afraid I can't quite back for many of the LPs. As I mentioned before, I can't stand that treble boost and just unnatural sound. The FFRR pressings and Stereo Treasury/Ace of Diamonds are, in my humble opinion, leaps and bounds ahead.

      Delete
  2. This is a recording that gets a lot of playtime in my house. I finer example of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony I cannot think of. Should be in every collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more. The performance is really enjoyable. Soundwise, for sure, I haven't come across a cleaner, more vibrant recording. And it's one of the more affordable LPs you can find!

      Delete
    2. I do love the Classical Symphony. You say Marraydo, I say Abbado!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts