Columbia SAX 2421: Karajan's Take at Ballet Music from the Opera

Columbia SAX 2421

Ballet Music from the Operas



Herbert von Karajan, conductor
Philharmonia Orchestra

Pressing: UK, ER2, semi-circle

Condition: NM

Date first published: 1961

Stampers:
YAX 653-4
YAX 654-4

Performance: 8/10

Sound: 8/10

Price range: $28-112 (mean $63) on popsike.com

Comments: Back in March I wrote a post on Ferenc Fricsay's DG recording of Opera Ballets, writing that I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of that LP both with respect to performance and sound, and I made reference to this recording. Like the Fricsay, this is a fun program with lively music -- what's not to like about ballet music from the opera?  Particular highlights on this LP are the excerpts from Verdi's Aida, Borodin's Prince Igor (including the famous Polovtsian Dances), and Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours from La Gioconda.  I regret to say that aside from a few selections of his works (e.g. the Prelude from Die Meistersinger, the Ride of the Valkyries from The Flying Dutchman), I'm just not a big fan of Wagner.  Karajan's interpretations of all of these works stack up nicely against Fricsay's, though I might still give Fricsay the upper hand here.  Soundwise, this album is not what I would call demonstration quality but nevertheless has some very nice things going for it.  Exciting music like that on this program needs strong dynamics, and this recording has a good amount of this.  I would have liked more bass impact in works such as the Polovtsian Dances, but overall I cannot complain.  The relatively quiet surfaces enable one to pick up plenty of detail during quieter passages, and louder passages are clear and free of distortion.   I also enjoyed a wide, deep soundstage, nice hall acoustic (recorded in Kingsway Hall), and a dash of that tube-like warmth.  





Comments

  1. My third pressing of this I like very much and would give a 5 for sound. Not tube like warmth but very extended highs that give very good hall ambience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts