Columbia SAX 5277: Szell conducts Wagner

Columbia SAX 5277

Szell conducts Wagner

George Szell, conductor
The Cleveland Orchestra

Pressing: UK, ER1, semi-circle first

Condition: NM

Date first published: 1961, 1966

Stampers: 
YAX 3251-1G
YAX 3252-1G

Performance: 8/10

Sound: 7/10

Price range: $40-185 (mean $94) on popsike.com

Comments: Okay, I'm pretty sure that I've confessed before that I'm not a huge fan of Wagner (or opera for that matter, but thank goodness my blog colleague Miles is ... stay tuned for an upcoming opera box set post), but being a Szell fan, I was still motivated to pick up this record.  This is the UK issue of US Columbia MS 6884, which I haven't had the opportunity to hear and/or compare to this one.  There are some nice performances on this record, though much of the music is on the more lyrical side, with the exception of the more magisterial Overture to Die Meistersinger.  Compared to the sound of the previous Szell SAX records I just reviewed, I felt that the quality of this one was relatively better.  Like many of the US Columbia/CBS records of the time that had more of a congested sound, the dynamic range isn't vast but the music (Die Meistersinger being the prime example) still has a little more punch to it, and for me that translated into a subtly more involving listening experience.  I also appreciated the clarity of the wind instruments, though the brass could get a little nasal at times.  There's just a hint of distortion when the musical energy gets high, but unlike with SAX 2517, it doesn't really get in the way of the performance.  If I ever find a cheap copy of the US Columbia, I'll report back with a comparison, or if any of our readers have heard it and would like to comment, please by all means do so!

The Wagner to hear, at least on the Columbia SAX label, are the recordings of Klemperer.  I've got those lined up for eventual review and will also make comparisons with this.  I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on other worthy Wagner orchestral recordings on vinyl.



Comments

  1. I guess many of these SAX Szell are for Szell collectors who want the best possible copy of the record. These did not sell as well in the UK because Cleveland is not a European orchestra, and so we have some nasty prices. Nice covers, nice sound, rarity, and performance combine to explain why a fairly mediocre sounding LP costs $100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a promotional copy of this album (I think I paid $4 for it), and it is one of the best sounding lps in my collection. At the time, the Cleveland under Szell were one of the premier orchestras in the world (Several critics have listed them #2 behind von Karajan's Berlin PO), and the horn section was widely recognized as being outstanding. Szell's interpretations are always direct and driven. On this recording, both the horns and strings have a presence and punch that engages and enthralls the listener. Columbia recordings are hit or miss, but when they got things right they sparkled. This is one of those recordings (I would also rate Walter's Beethoven No. 6 on Columbia very highly as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - thanks for your comment! Is your promotional copy a US or UK pressing?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts