Decca SXL 2134: Music of Berlioz

Decca SXL 2134

Music of Berlioz

Jean Martinon, conductor
Paris Conservatoire Orchestra

Pressing: UK, ED1

Condition: EX


Date first published: 1959

Stampers:
ZAL 4324-1K
ZAL 4325-1K

Performance: 8/10

Sound: 7/10 (8 for STS)

Price range: $28-211 (mean $107) on popsike.com

Comments: Okay, I admit, I don't have the cleanest looking copy based on the photos (there's some wear to the back cover and some anti-Deccite wrote in black ink over the Decca logo on the label), but the vinyl plays perfectly and accurately reveals the sonic attributes of this record.  There are a number of Berlioz compilations out there (Munch on RCA LSC-2438, Cluytens on rare French EMI SAXF-207, Ansermet on Decca SXL 6165), but this one is one of the more collectible ones.  Basically, almost anything that Jean Martinon did for Decca in stereo is pretty collectible.  The performances with the PCO are at least good to very good, and hey, this is fun French music.  The Hungarian March from The Damnation of Faust is one of my all time favorite Berlioz orchestral works (we did play this one for a regional high school orchestra concert in 1992 or 1993) and Martinon pulls it off nicely here.  Listening this morning, I was pretty pleased with the tubey sound quality (which, as with a lot of the early Deccas, still gives the recordings an "older" sound compared with the more "modern" sounding mid- to late Deccas) .  This is a dynamic album on both ends of the spectrum, and for the most part, Decca delivers.  The surface was pretty quiet, allowing me to appreciate low level detail.  Clarity was sacrificed only at the extremes, and I found the music to have its impact when needed.  A little more definition and depth of bass would be a bonus.  I'll have to check my collection to see if I have the STS reissue and whether or not any of these issues were subsequently resolved. 

According to Moon and Gray in FFSS, this album was given a 7 for performance and 8 for sound with a comment: "Good recording but mediocre orchestral playing".

For the budget buyers, you'll not regret picking up the London Blueback CS 6101.  The cover might not have the bizarre miniature caricature of Hector, but it's a small price to pay for the overall cheaper price of the record.  I found one about 6 months ago for $7.99 at the local record shop in pristine shape. 

Update (Meles): The ED5 style pressing of this LP on Stereo Treasury STS 15031 offers improved clarity and bass impact that gets the job done well. Please see our Decca Blueback Guide.


Audio setup: VPI Aries 1 turntable, JMW Memorial tonearm, Lyra Delos cartridge, Parasound JC3 phono stage, Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amplifier, Von Schweikert VR2 floorstanding speakers

Comments

  1. And how do you rate the blue back versus the Decca?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I never listened to the two on the same system. I listened to the Blueback on a Rega P25 with ZYX R100 with tube phono amplification vs the VPI Aries with Lyra Delos and JC3 for this one. The comparison cannot be direct. Let me see if I can find the Blueback and audition it at home. Do you have the Blueback?

      Delete
    2. not even a lowly stereo Treasury sts.

      Delete
    3. Found narrow band sts. It rocks. Nice treble energy. Much better than Decca apparently. For this tty later pressing is my take. Very nice.

      Delete
    4. Found London blueback of the same album and am listening to it on my Beyerdynamic T1's and new Schiit Lyr headphone amp (late night listening). I was definitely more aware of deep bass extension upon closer listening, something that I didn't quite pick up on my speakers. The blueback shares the same very mild distortion at times but has the tube glory that my colleague Miles raves about without excessive treble boost.

      Delete
    5. Brass and strings on Overture to Le Corsaire showing some harshness ...

      Delete
    6. Miles, I bet your STS beats the Blueback. This one is starting to lose control at the end of side 2.

      Delete
  2. Best late STS I've heard. Just hints of tube sound and plenty of dynamic clout!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts