Decca SXL 6089: Kertesz and the Vienna Philharmonic take home the trophy

Decca SXL 6089

Schubert: Symphony No. 9 "The Great C Major"

Istvan Kertesz, conductor
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

Pressing: UK, ED2


Condition: NM

Date first published: 1964

Stampers:
ZAL 6147-6W
ZAL 6148-5W

Performance: 4.5/5

Sound: 4.5/5

Price range: $28-179 (mean $62) on popsike.com

Comments: You're probably asking, "HOW many recordings of Schubert's Great is he going to review??  Enough already!" Okay, just one more, because so far, of the ones I've heard and reviewed on this site, this one has impressed me the most.  Of course, I haven't yet reviewed the famous Munch/BSO on RCA or the Karajan/BPO on DG, but I can say that compared to the Krips, Szell, and Kubelik, the clarity (finally, no distortion on this one!), dynamics, and hall ambience of this recording give it the best sound.  The presentation is also a little closer, so you feel like you are right up in the front rows rather than seated further back in the hall.  To me, that translated into greater detail, more impressive dynamics, and a more tangible sound overall.  Keep in mind, this is the second pressing (ED2, with "Made in England By" at the 11 o'clock position on the label), which I believe would equate to the wide band FFRR London pressing -- one that I believe often surpasses the sonic quality of the original FFSS (though I am pretty sure that some may differ on this).  If you can locate the London (CS 6381), you'll probably land yourself a better deal than getting the Decca, and I won't even go into the debate here about Decca vs London.  Unfortunately, the catalog number cut-off in the Moon and Gray book is CS 6350, so I can't provide you with any more insight on this LP from that source.  A very nice record.


Audio setup: VPI Aries 1 turntable, JMW Memorial tonearm, Lyra Delos cartridge, Parasound JC3 phono stage, Musical Fidelity M6i integrated amplifier, Von Schweikert VR2 floorstanding speakers


Comments

  1. I found an ED1 pressing on popsike that was matrices 2G/2G. The London CS 6381 is very rare. I am very partial to the later blue back LP's and pressings. The 2G/2G might be a late tube affair. London CS 6351 and up are very interesting along with their corresponding Decci. The blue back guide drops off here, but these issues and some of the early STS and SDD stuff have great potential (almost makes me want to break into my Decca piles that have been sitting out sorted for a year and a half.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite intriguing. Kertesz's Schubert is not half as famous as the one by Krips, although it is at least as good sonically. I have the recording in a box with the complete symphonies. Great sound and even better value for money. The stampers on the 9th Sympony are 5W/5W.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts