Weekend Round-up of London Stereo Treasuries, Decca Ace of Diamonds, and Decca Eclipses

Thanks to readers and followers for the lively discussion following our last post on the topic of budget releases in the London/Decca catalog.  This weekend, we are happy to offer our thoughts on a few more selections and add another reissue series to the London Stereo Treasury and Decca Ace of Diamonds, namely, the Decca Eclipse series of the 1970s.

To compare and contrast, I first chose STS 15033: Massenet -- Scenes Pittoresques, Scenes Alsaciennes (Albert Wolff, Paris Conservatoire Orchestra), Stampers ZAL-2698-1M/2699-1M, the reissue of London CS 6139. This is one of those rare birds that was only issued as a London and never as a Decca.  The orchestral music of Jules Massenet has not been often recorded, and these classic performances by the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra (with its characteristically French winds and brass) led by Albert Wolff remain reference recordings to this day.  I have owned the original blueback in the past and can say that the Stereo Treasury comes pretty darn close to recreating the sound of the original, which was decent though not exemplary.  However, given the rarity of the blueback, I would snatch this one up if you find it for cheap.

Half of the original program was included in this Decca Eclipse reissue published in 1975: ECS 773: Massenet -- Scenes Alsaciennes; Charpentier -- Impressions d'Italie (Albert Wolff, Paris Conservatoire Orchestra), Stampers ZAL-13461-2A/13462-2A. This allowed a partial comparison of the two reissues, and I can say without a doubt that I preferred the Decca Eclipse. It was a significant sonic improvement over both the original blueback and the STS. Gone was that early, rather dry- and at times nasal-sounding FFSS sound, replaced by one that was much more naturally balanced and detailed to my ears. Bass was deeper and more defined.  It's just too bad that the Scenes Pittoresques wasn't included.

The discovery that my original blueback pressing of London CS 6077 (Decca SXL 2105) had a mark that made it skip on the first track lead to my search for another copy, but I came across a near mint copy of STS 15057: Ravel -- Bolero, Alborado del Gracioso; Weber-Berlioz -- Invitation to the Dance; Falla -- The Three Cornered Hat - 3 Dances (Albert Wolff, Paris Conservatoire Orchestra), Stampers ZAL-4268-3W/4269-4W, and for $3.99, it was hard to turn it down.  The decision paid off, because this LP actually sounds a bit better in terms of clarity and balance than the original FFSS.  The musical program is also well selected on this disc and is pretty much guaranteed to delight.  A worthy alternative.

Nearly all of Jean Martinon's London/Decca stereo recordings (particularly the Deccas) pretty consistently sell for high prices on the auction market, so coming across one of the reissues for a few bucks is a no-brainer.  Most of the originals were among Decca's earlier stereo releases, and frankly, I was never blown away by the sound of the original FFSS pressings of the LPs I owned. They had that boosted treble sound, which frankly, I found sonically annoying, and frequently had distortion in louder passages of music.  So I was even more curious to hear if the London Stereo Treasury reissues of these albums shared the same characteristics or were an improvement.  As a disclaimer, I admit that I have never owned an original of CS 6058/SXL 2021. STS 15051: Massenet -- "Le Cid" Ballet Music; Meyerbeer-Lambert -- "Les Patineurs" Ballet (Jean Martinon, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra), Stampers ZAL-4047-5L/4048-6L, sounded very good to my ears.  Thank goodness for a more natural sounding treble.  I would wager that this STS sounds a lot like the FFRR pressing, which I would wager is cleaner, more natural sounding recording than the FFSS original.

SDD 138: Tchaikovsky -- Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique" (Jean Martinon, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra), Stampers ZAL-4039-8E/4040-4E, is the Stereo Treasury reissue of CS 6052/SXL 2004, which sells for a mean of $124 on popsike.com.  I have the deep grooved Ace of Diamonds with the FFSS written out at the top of the record label, which, rumor has it, may have been cut from the same stampers used to make the FFSS originals.  Listening to this LP, I could believe that, because if it's the original early FFSS sound that you're looking for, this is pretty darn close to it.  Not having heard the original, I would guess that it had some mild distortion (those of you who do own the original, your input here would be greatly appreciated).  If so, that's cleaned up here on the SDD, which has none, and this would make it a possible sonic improvement over the original.  However, the recording overall lacks the balance and naturalness more intrinsic to the mid to later releases in the London/Decca catalog, so I wouldn't expect an audiophile blockbuster here.  There's also better Tchaikovsky 6th on vinyl out there (e.g. Mravinsky on DG, Silvestri on EMI), but if you are looking for a filler while seeking the original, look no further.

Well, that's it for this week.  As usual, if you have thoughts or insight to add to this discussion, please feel free to comment.  There's more to come in the next few weeks.

Comments

  1. SDD 138 had a May 1966 release.
    These 8E/4E matrices appear another example where Decca quickly re-cut the disc upon SDD release, as I've their test-pressing, in a March 1966 inner-sleeve, of 9W/5W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by the higher stamper numbers on the test pressings. Does this mean that no early W stamper exists? The Stereo Treasury STS15018 of SDD 138 is 10W/5W. The E pressing is what was on the original blue back (I see a 6E/3E on popsike). Here is a case where the Ace of Diamonds is different from a Stereo Treasury.

      I've got the original of the Le Cid and it is fine, but not great. I'd rather have Birgminham for my Massenet fix with the Klavier reissue from acoustic sounds being tops, but at the same time I'd like to get my hands on the original Studio Two (Bassophile actually has this, so I'll get him to bring it buy some time.) Les Patineurs is on a nice Shaded Dog LSC 2450 (Classic reissue for me). These two records can be had for somewhat reasonable prices, so some may wish to forego the budget STS/SDD. I've got a copy of STS15033, but unfortunately could not locate it for the stampers. CS6052 looks familiar, but I don't see it (perhaps I've watched one to many copies slip by on ebay.)

      I just found four Decca Jubilee, pressed in Holland, mastered in England while hunting these down. It appears we have Decca SPA releases and Eclipse to watch for now based on Tin Ear's recommendations.

      Delete
    2. There's a misunderstanding here..
      The letters are 'unimportant' as the number denotes the sequence: so this was the next recut/s after the 'E' matrices - hence it's the earliest 'W'.

      Have 4 copies of TWO/Q4TWO 350- - the TWO are only -1/-2 matrices- and (from memory) the acoustic is 'ungainly' (typically the case with CBSO's in de Montfort Hall)...but sounded OK 'once'.

      Delete
    3. I don't own a lot of SPA and/or Eclipse releases, but I can say that I've been very pleased with their sound. On the docket for upcoming review is Reiner's Richard Strauss album, originally released on RCA (recorded by Decca), reissued as a Decca Eclipse. What I stay away from are the Decca Eclipses that are electronically rechanneled stereo.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts