Mercury SR 90279: Dorati and the LSO rock the Tchaikovsky 4th

Mercury Living Presence SR 90279

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4

Antal Dorati, conductor
London Symphony Orchestra

Pressing: US, colorback, dark maroon label

Condition: NM-

Date first published: 

Stampers: RFR-1/RFR-1

Performance: 10/10

Sound: 9/10

Price range: $25-172 (mean $54) on popsike.com

Comments: This highly enjoyable record has all the elements that make for a great sounding Mercury recording. First, the performance is about as dramatic and fiery as it gets without the conductor and orchestra losing their control.  I have always liked Dorati's Tchaikovsky cycle, but this is the first time I have heard his 4th on vinyl.  Secondly, this album is dynamic as all get out and the orchestra really packs a punch, especially in the first and fourth movements, without much of a trace of any distortion.  Thirdly, soundstaging is excellent.  This is not one of those -- as I call it -- "up close and personal" Mercury recordings in which you feel like you are sitting on the conductor's shoulders.  You can really hear and appreciate the acoustics of the hall here, which happens to be Wembley Town Hall on the outskirts of London.  Fourthly, treble and bass extension on this recording are exemplary of Mercury's best, while overall orchestral balance is very well preserved.  I have not gotten my hands on a red stereo tulips label German first pressing of the Mravinsky performance with the Leningrad Philharmonic, but until then, this one has got to be one of my vinyl references for this symphony.  Okay, yes, there is that typical low-level Mercury tape hiss (which is why I gave this a 9 and not a 10), but I really only noticed it when listening through closed-back headphones.  In spite of the hiss, you can still hear a great amount of detail, which also makes this a fantastic Mercury.  Just listen to the third movement with the clear, crisp, and resonant string pizzicato and you'll understand.

One question that I would really like to answer objectively is if there is any sonic difference between the US pressed Mercuries and their UK counterparts.  I believe that EMI pressed those overseas, but could that possibly translate into quieter surfaces and an improved sound floor?  I have not seen a discussion online that answers this question.  Folks, it's time for a new experiment and exploration ...




Comments

  1. It is amazing that Mercury collecting has declined somewhat (as has my own listening.) I must say the Grundmann tube Classic reissues are Juggarnauts while his work with Decca though surprisingly in character with the originals are not in the same league. Its time for this collector to start looking seriously at Mercury. I've never even heard this one on CD, so it is very, very appealing given the strong rating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salvatore also praises the Speakers Corner Mercury reissues. I have a couple that are very good, though somehow I still prefer the originals, even if they have a little more surface noise. It may depend on the album. The Classic Records reissues of the Mercury giants (SR 90313, 90212, 90006 etc) are pretty outstanding and may handily beat the originals.

      Delete
    2. Expecting to hear a bit of Speaker Corner Mercury Romeo and Juliet with the Quadophile, who has developed quite a hatred for Speakers Corner. I've picked up a few more of the top Decci per the Maestro on Speakers Corner. I am not dancing in the street and listening to them over and over again, yet I've not really given them a serious listen.

      I think Grundmann's new upcoming ORG tube pressings really have potential. Speakers Corner has been same old, same old. They are quite proficient at eliminating some of my favorite aspects of the Blueback/SXL sound.

      Delete
  2. The few UK Mercury EMI discs I have seen were pressed from US Metalwork from Fine Recording in New York, usually cut by George Piros or John Johnson. Surfaces usually a bit quieter than the USA Mercuries of the same era.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts