Audio Nervosa and Matrices: The EMI Reissues Part 1

It had never occured to me to check whether some of my EMI made reissues are in fact later stampers from the same Gold & Cream ASD or Blue & Silver SAX mothers. I did not think this was possible, but commenters Tin Ear and AndyW have woken me up to this reality. As a result I just made a rather healthy purchase of World Record Club (WRC) reissues of some big time EMI Golden Age LP's. Before I listen, the disease of Audio Nervosa requires that I thoroughly compare the stampers on these LP's with the originals. For each I'll show the original vintage cover and the WRC covers which have the same awesome flipback EMI quality as the originals. I'll search Popsike for the original stampers. If it is a strike out on Popsike, then it will be up to our readers to tell the final tale.

A quick note on EMI pressing information for the uninitiated. We are working towards an in depth analysis like was done for Decca (see Resources upper right corner of all our pages). We have done EMI labels (Resources), but sadly our own ignorance of World Record Club led to their exclusion. 

In short for EMI including WRC, each record has a matrix number at 6 o'clock in the "dead wax" (the area in the vinyl at the end of each side that has what is called the lead out). Every EMI LP (infact most LPs from any label) will always have the leading string of characters on the label which identifies the recording. Technically this is the matrix number. The additional numbers after matrix number are the key information (often 1 digit with EMI). Just to confuse things collectors often refer to these numbers, with or without the long string, as "matrix". This "matrix" number corresponds to an actual physical lacquer which will have a unique sound. At 9 o'clock we have the number of the metal mother and usually only a few would be made at most from the impression of a given lacquer (1 is best). At 3 o'clock we have a stamper number. These go by a similar method to Decca's BUCKINGHAM except EMI uses GRAMOPHLTD, so an A would be a third stamper made from the mother, GA would be the 13 stamper and so on. The stamper is what actually pressed the LP. The mother would look roughly like a metal LP on one side. Some audiophile companies have done one step pressings (Water Lily comes to mind) where I believe the original impression of the lacquer is used to stamp out a limited run of LPs.

On with the show!:


ASD 460 Humperdinck Hansel and Gretel, Mendelssohn A Midsummer Night's Dream. Kempe, RPO $750 (Popsike) Matrix:
2YEA 577 - 2 / 2YEA 546 - 9

WRC ST 736 Matrix:
2YEA 577 - 2 / 2YEA 546 - 10
2-G/1-G (mother-stamper)

Less the nice ASD cover, the WRC has almost the same Matrix and at $37, 1/20th the price of the ASD. The WRC with the first stamper from the second mother on side 1 matches the ASD. On side 2, the first mother from the first stamper of matrix 10, nearly matches the original.

Side 1 of course is a Gold & Cream
pressing based on the stampers and the sound leaves no doubt (Hansel & Gretel rarely recorded). Side 2 matches it with a great Midsummer. This is not your typical Concert Classic SXLP reissue sound; a 9 for performance and a 9+ for tube sound of the first order that makes me a huge World Record Club fan! 

For Midsummer one can spring for the Decca or London with Maag, but the WRC more than holds its own versus this pricey competition. Strongly recommended.
ASD 494 Kodaly Hary Janos Suite, Tchaikovsky Suite 3, Gotovac - Kolo from Ero & Der Schem, Kempe, VPO,  $500 (Popsike) Matrix:
 2YVH  43-3   2YVH  44-1

WRC ST 763 Matrix:
 2YVH  43-5 2YVH  44-3
1-G/?-A (mother-stamper)

At $15, the later mastered WRC is the only reissue of the mighty ASD at 1/30th price.

This LP sounds like a Gold & Cream. However, Dorati's performance of the Hary Janos Suite on Mercury Living Presence betters this one by a wide margin. The 
sound here is a bit lean, with good textures and some congestion. On side 2, the Tchaikovsky Suite 3 may be the best tube sound version and frankly I've never heard of Gotovac until this LP and I like. Overall, a 9 for performance and 8+ for sound. Another great WRC.

For those who can't stand the up front Mercury sound, the WRC is compelling. Salvatore lists a Speakers Corner of the Hary Janos. I find Kertesz and the LSO's performance lacking enough on my Super Analogue that I cannot recommend it. I have the RFR Mercury and recommend seeking out the original FR pressing, but the RFR is good. The SACD of the Mercury recommended.


Checking in at over $500 is SAX 2517, a reissue of an Epic, Szell/Cleveland doing Schubert's Great. AQL gave this a sonic rating of 6 on this site for the original matrix:
BC 1009 A-2  BC 1009 B-2

WRC 627 dissapointingly is not the same:
BC 1009 A-3G  BC 1009 B-3G
2-A/1-A (mother-stamper)

The 3G is definitely a later pressing (common to see G after mid-sixties), but given the poor sound of the original, the World Record Club reissue at $15 may sound better at 1/35th the price.


From the first note, its clear the WRC is an excellent remaster. I've been listening to a number of fine Gold label Epic Szell recordings and this does very well, slightly ameoloriating the dry Epic sound, while also losing some fine detail. A 6+ for sound, but a 9 for performance as this arguably great interpretation sounds too austere.

In the final analysis, I don't have a strong Schubert 'The Great' recommendation. I have the Speakers Corner of the Decca Boult whose bass obliterates the original pressing, but the Boult is just not a strong recording. For those who must have Szell, I'd get the original Epic if your system will pass the finest tube detail. Otherwise the WRC under review may be the one.
Realizing that my entire shipment is not in hand and that this post is long enough we'll end part 1 with SAX 2394, Samson Francois' Ravel Piano Concerto in G and Piano Concerto for the Left Hand. A recent copy of the Blue and Silver sold for $1700 with matrix:
YLX 1046 - 1 / YLX 1047 - 3

World Record Club ST 871:
YLX 1046 - 2 / YLX 1047 - 3
2-O/3-M (mother-stamper)

Almost identical, with perhaps not the best mother/stamper, the WRC at $30 and 1/60th the price is going to do well.
Sonically, side 1 delivers Blue and Silver sound with crisp dynamics. Performance 9, Sound 8+.  Side 2 is simply a tour de force sonically and musically. A perfect 10. Stunning musically and sonically in every way.


There is quite a bit of competition for this recording. Decca SXL 6411 (London CS 6633) has the Left Hand Concerto and is fairly stunning. The right pressing of the Linn Recut 5001 might be very fine with Katchen and Kertesz doing the Piano Concerto in G (Decca). Michellangeli on EMI also is very strong. Shaded Dog LSC 2271 with Munch BSO is another fine one. I'd recommend the London versions of the above LP's for those on a budget and Michellangeli on the Concert Classics SXLP reissue. Get them all. For the Left Hand, the WRC is a must. The best Blue and Silver SAX I've ever heard by a wide margin.

















I'll update this post eventually with listening notes for each LP. Make sure you check notify near the comments window to keep abreast of the final sonic verdicts.

Comments

  1. Hello,

    Learning quite a bit by accessing your website/blog:

    1. verb - to "popsike" - didn't even know that this website even existed.
    2. WRC covers are boring - totally disagree - pity you will not include images of them. There is a extended article on the WRC cover designs (originally from Australia) somewhere on the web (will send link when I find it) - very highly regarded especially by "moi".
    3. having to decipher all the metaphors emanating from alien sports/games - having to get to "grips" with this "cultural imperialism".
    4 your website/blog - stimulates accessing my vinyl collection. Still prefer CDs though - no clicks, pops and surface noise.
    5. still do not know how to "read" stamper codes, etc. Is there a guide to this somewhere on your blogspot- or are we expected to understand this?

    Cheers,

    Douglas (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Douglas,

      Thank you very much for taking the time to check out our blog. By now you've probably realized that while I started this site back in 2012, it has become a joint effort between my friend Meles and me and has greatly benefited from the comments and insight of readers and collectors like you. We hope that you have enjoyed reading our posts. Please allow me to make a few comments on yours:

      1. Popsike. Meles tends to use this as a verb. It's a great resource that we discovered about 2 years ago and one that has helped us gauge the "market" for these LPs. The main reason for importing this information is to help our readers and ourselves to know what to expect when hunting for a particular LP.

      2. WRC covers. I don't own any WRCs at this point and am eagerly awaiting Meles' review of these vs the originals, but I suspect that I may be picking up at least a few based on his upcoming post. Though these covers may not have the same style as the ASD or SAX covers, for their price, these reissues appear to be unbeatable, and if their sound quality comes close to that of the originals (or is even better), they may be a huge value. Thank you very much for your link to the covers.

      3. I'm not sure which metaphors you are referring to about alien sports/games. Though both Meles and I are based in the US, I would say that neither of us consider ourselves or our views to be "culturally imperialistic". If you are referring to any of the comments about Asian collectors (particularly about their willingness to unload heaps of cash to buy rare vinyl), those are written in jest, and I don't take offense being Asian myself. But I'd be interested to hear which metaphors you are referring to.

      4. I'm very glad to hear that our website/blog is encouraging you to return to your vinyl. In part, that was my intention when I set out to start this ... to begin revisiting my own collection and listening to these records more carefully and hopefully, more thoughtfully. Of course, one can get caught up in the minutiae as we sometimes do and we lose sight of the forest for the trees. For me, the music prevails, and as long as the record communicates this effectively, that's what matters.

      5. We hope to investigate the stamper code phenomenon in more depth, as Meles and I are both discovering that this may provide insight into pressing timing/quality. More to come!

      Thanks as always for all your valuable thoughts and comments!

      Sincerely,
      Albert

      Delete
    2. Douglas,
      Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated.
      Q1. verb - to "popsike" - didn't even know that this website even existed.
      A1. I am guilty of creating new lp collecting words, etc.. This article was shot out of a cannon last night (did as quick as I could) and so it may not be perfect. I like using compact language and readers somewhat familiar with LPs should be able to get the swing. Popsike is great as it captures Ebay LP sales over $25 and keeps the data forever (not 3 months like Ebay).

      Q2. WRC covers are boring - totally disagree - pity you will not include images of them. There is a extended article on the WRC cover designs (originally from Australia) somewhere on the web (will send link when I find it) - very highly regarded especially by "moi".
      A2. I'd been meaning to setup a poor man's LP cover photo studio and so I did today. The WRC covers have been added! and were made with my 10 megapixel cell phone camera. AQL is a real pro and takes all his own photos. I am a Adobe Photoshop Pro and am now quite practiced as taking Ebay photos and fixing them. I'll be talking shop with AQL to see if i can improve lighting, etc.

      3Q. having to decipher all the metaphors emanating from alien sports/games - having to get to "grips" with this "cultural imperialism".
      3A. Ummm. See Britiish LP dealers for imperialism!

      4Q. your website/blog - stimulates accessing my vinyl collection. Still prefer CDs though - no clicks, pops and surface noise.
      4A. Thank you. Your comments stimulate us to blog/review more. I hate repetitive ticks, but am tolerant of a roaring fire place when it comes to LP noise. I find the noise is concentrate at the speakers, while a properly imaging system has the sound coming from anywhere but the speakers (the power of audio imaging).

      5Q. still do not know how to "read" stamper codes, etc. Is there a guide to this somewhere on your blogspot- or are we expected to understand this?
      5A. Updated the article with discussion of this. Douglas we need to keep you motivated to listen to your WRC LPs! You may have a few that are the equivalent to four figure LPs. If that doesn't motivate you to listen to vinyl, please see vinyl shrink! I can't stand CDs generally, and invest all my resources in LP playback. I am really excited that you have a big WRC collection. Hopefully, we'll get you proficient with the stampers, so we can all target the best titles to get. The list of what I just bought is down in comments of Readers Poll 10/10 post.

      Delete
  2. Found the link for WRC cover images and design:

    http://geoffhocking.com/worldrecordclub.html

    I have so, so many WRC issues - the basis of my collection, but would still like to see the covers of issues that I didn't purchase - but were the covers the same (universal) in all counties in which they were released?

    Sorry to be a critical grumpy old man. I really get upset when people write assuming that everyone has the same deep interest in their subject.

    Please remember I am a novice to this topic area. I may have an excessive collection of vinyl but I do not get "anally retentive" about it.

    Rant over.

    Cheers,

    Douglas (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha -- you are probably not the first critical reader (or as you say, "grumpy old man") to this blog. Please remember that neither Meles nor myself purport ourselves to be "experts" about any of these topics. Neither of us grew up in the era when these records were being released (I was born only a couple of years before the advent of CD) and so much of what we know/have learned has come from having spoken with other older, more experienced collectors. We both realized that there was a paucity of this sort of information about these records on the web and thought that we would make it our goal to try to provide more information based on our own experience listening and collecting. This site is meant for all levels of collectors, be they novice or veteran, and we hope that there is information that is enjoyable to read at all levels. Some posts may be more technical, and they are not meant to be pedantic but rather to engage the readers that find this detailed investigation meaningful.

      Your critical comments are always welcome!

      Delete
  3. Just got back in.

    Well "aqlam" I was very worried that you would rant back at me. You surprised me by the calm, measured and restrained way that you addressed my rant.

    I like you very much in the courteous way you responded to me - thank you.

    If none of your readers have ever looked at the link to WRC - Australia that I sent - may I commend it. Contains much useful and interesting info on WRC history.

    I was very lucky growing up in the UK in the 1960s when I started my lifetime of collecting mostly classical recorded music - thankfully WRC was an excellent basis from which to start - re-issues of premium price EMI/HMV/Columbia/Capitol/Parlophone material in generally excellent pressings at upper-budget price. And the record covers were lauded! Not sure if you are aware that WRC commissioned many notable recordings by such conductors as Adrian Boult, Anthony Collins, Hans Swarowsky, Alexander Gibson, Colin Davis? They are still being re-issued nowadays.

    Were WRC available in the US at anytime? I guess not by some of what you have said.

    Sorry also for having a go at US english and articulation - I'm getting less tolerant in my dotage! As you might guess I am not a sports lover - I have absolutely no knowledge of US sports and do not wish to have. My only sporting (?) interest is hiking, be it in the Appalachians or in the beautiful Shropshire countryside, where I live, in the UK - inspired much fantastic English classical music.

    I must restrict my ramblings, otherwise there will be no room for other correspondents to write!

    Cheers,

    Douglas (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas,
      I am now a huge WRC and I'm just listenting to my first record! Pardon our ignorance as I've never been willing to pay the premium budget price on the used market and then another $15 in shipping all too often. Frankly, I missed the presence of WRC early on and thought many of the issues Australian. I had no idea that emi pressed the records. I expect we will eventually do something that really explores the label, but at this point I am still figuring it out. Please pardon us if we get extremely anal retentive about WRC. You were excited about new WRC, I am very excited about used WRC vs used ASD and SAX.

      Delete
  4. Another WRC album cover link - short video:

    http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2009/10/26/2723942.htm

    Enjoy.

    Cheers,

    Douglas (UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about covers being shared between countries and it is hard to research for classical since WRC don't usually sell for enough money for Popsike to notice them.

      Delete
  5. Meles - thanks for your post. Based on your critiques, I am definitely now interested in hearing some of these WRCs, especially the Samson Ravel and the Kempe Humperdinck. Speaking of covers, I actually really like the Samson Ravel WRC cover. Great photos, and please keep them coming! Not surprised in the least about the Szell. I will be posting more of my thoughts about these Szell SAX UK issues in the coming days. Without giving too much away, let's just say that my conclusion about their sound quality is at best luke warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I would rate that one fourth. I like the Kodaly.

      Delete
  6. There is a copy of the Samson SAX on ebay at this moment. With time left to go, the price is already over $800. The WRC appears ever so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I recommended it. The WRC issues are good value, particuarly the reissues of the expensive SAX, ASD and SP recordings but also from other labels such as Everest and not forgetting WRC's own recordings. I've been listening to various recording of the Enigma Variations and Boult's original recording for WRC is by far the best.

      Delete
  7. I'll keep an eye out for ST 736 based on your review. I have the full Hansel & Gretel opera on W/G Electoral 91 366/67 (ASDW 9152/53) with Andre Cluytens conducting the Vienna Philharmonic and the Kempe recording would be a good companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AndyW the think I really like about it is how it does tube sound. That is what makes it special. Its got tube magic.

      Delete
    2. Meles, what's your general opinion so far on the WRC pressings?

      Delete
    3. Generrally, they seem to be the equivalent of at least a later Gold & Cream or Blue & Silver. All the LPs I got from the dealer are immaculate. I've got some Regal and Concert Classic reissues and I plan to do similar analysis probably starting mainly with Regal. I plan to tag on the Kempe Brahms 4 with AQL's review. I want more.

      Delete
    4. Tagged onto AQL's Brahms review.

      Delete
  8. I'm looking forward to Part 2 of this adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really just holding back, but will work on it, especially the Kogan! (just buy that now.)

      I also want to start two EMI threads for matrices. One for SAX and one for ASD. Basically, this would allow readers to post certain original or reissue ASD titles with the stamper information. Others would add on info for a given title by replying to the specific comment. I believe this would make for a powerful resource. Definitely would want your paticipation Andy (and Tin Ear). This info would be a magnet for emi and classical collectors.

      Delete
  9. In the USA, there was no World Record Club. Us Yanks were forced to suffer post 1960, with the often veiled, mucky sounding Angel LP issues of EMI's various labels. When EMI/Angel became available through RCA Music Service and Columbia House in those dark days, those were better mastered and pressed than the Capitol manufactured Angels, a pity as Capitol Classics the older home grown Classical line from Capitol were often very good, if not excellent. When Angel Digital came into issue, the late Angel pressings, and the Angel Greensleeves and Eminence (German pressed by EMI Electrola) things improved. Some history and a pity Angel didn't elect to continue UK imports post the beginning of Stereo as this would have greatly improved how EMI Classical vinyl was perceived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty good summation and why early EMI is virtually unknown in the US. Late angel pressings are passable, but better to go with strict EMI England product for the most part. If you are thrift shopping for $1 or so late Angel might have to do. Greensleeves is English and excellent. Not a fan of German EMI pressings. Little experience with French, Australian, and South African pressings.

      Delete
  10. And some of those early non-EMI WRC can be good (and pressed by EMI). I've got a much larger sampling in and it varies. One was an unreleased EMI that actually had a few EMI test pressings about (sold for like $6000 on ebay), but the WRC did not have similar stamper numbers. Some do match and sound like it. For eager beaver collectors just look up the corresponding emi title on popsike and look hard for stamper and matrix information from past ebay sales (Popsike has all over $20 or so)and then you can match up with your WRC or have the temerity to ask the seller.

    There are articles quoting the principles at WRC that claim Australian WRC not only used EMI stampers, but often rejected them if not up to snuff, so its possible those would be overall better quality than the EMI release. Of course the vinyl formulations have differences. I have South African and New Zealand pressings and they also appear to be EMI. The beauty with WRC is they were so low budget that they did not try to remaster from tape, tape that in most cases overseas is another generation removed from the master.

    The British sleeves for WRC are flipbacks on par with EMI's utterly fantastic quality.

    To be clear what you say may hold very true for pop records on the W or SW, but for EMI classical stampers were heavily reused. I'm not sure if its quite a majority that are from the old blue&silver/gold&cream stampers as sometimes the pressing are clearly later and I'd wager if EMI themselves had a latter reissue that a WRC after that date invariably would match the later pressing.

    I've not combed through my REGAL and Concert Classics, but stamper reuse seems rarer.

    Highly recommend snapping up EMI WRC classical if it comes in range. Sadly a review of the treasure trove of WRC I've acquired is not likely soon despite an even bigger binge this last Fall.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts